[DataSci] Reading: chapter 1 of ISLR

David Owen dsowen at fugue88.ws
Fri Nov 25 15:48:23 MST 2016

Our reading is chapter 1 of Intro to Stat Learning, and I only just now
picked it up to take a look at it.

Chapter 1 is the intro to the book, and only 15 pages.

However, it lays some good foundations if you're not already into the
stats world.  For example, it shows several different types of plots for
different data sets, covers the basic of linear algebra, and states which
data sets the book references.

So the question is, do we stick with chapter 1, or go on to chapter 2?

If we stick with chapter 1, part of our "reading" could also be getting R
setup and making sure we can load the example data sets.  A library is
loaded like this: `require(MASS)`.  A dataset can then be loaded like
this: `data(Boston)`.  If you get no error messages, you're good!

I'm fine either way, and will assume chapter 1 for now.

Cheers,
David